1. All questions are compulsory.
2. Question nos. 1 to 8 are very short answer questions and carry 1 mark each.
3. Question nos. 9 to 18 are short answer questions and carry 2 marks each.
4. Question nos. 19 to 27 are also short answer questions and carry 3 marks each
5. Question nos. 28 to 30 are long answer questions and carry 5 marks each
6. Use log tables if necessary, use of calculators is not allowed.
1. Find out the number of atoms per unit cell in a fcc structure having only single
atoms at its lattice points .
2. State the condition resulting in reverse osmosis.
3. Express the rate of the following reaction in terms of disappearance of hydrogen in the reaction
N2 +3H2 ----------> 2NH3 .
4. Define molar conductivity for the solution of an electrolyte.
5. PbO2 is a stronger oxidizing agent than SnO2 .
6. Why the transition metals generally form colored compounds ?
7. Which out of the following are transition element and why? Zn, Ag, Cd, Au
8. Why is the separation of lanthanide elements difficult ?
9. Assign reasons for the following
(i) Phosphorus doped silicon is a semiconductor .
(ii) Schottky defect lowers the density of a solid .
10. An element has a body centered cubic structure with a cell edge of 288 pm.The density
Of the element is 7.2 g/cm3.Calculate the no. of unit cells in 208 g of the element.
11. Explain the following:
1.F –centre 2.A hole
12. A 0.1539 molal aqueous solution of cane sugar (mol. Mass = 342 g/mol) has a freezing point
of 271 K While the freezing point of pure water is 273.15 K. What will be the freezing point of
an aqueous solution Containing 5 g of glucose (mol. Mass =180 g/mole) per 100 g of solution?
13. Calculate the standard cell potential of the galvanic cell in which the following reaction takes place
2 Cr +3 Cd +2 ---------->2 Cr +3 +3 Cd
Given E0Cr +3 /Cr =0.74 V , E0Cd +2 /Cd = -0.40 V and F =96500C/mol
14. Explain the following terms with a suitable example in each case:
(i) Shape- selective catalysis
15. (i) What is the role of graphite rod in the electrometallurgy?
(ii) Write the principle of zone refining method.
16. What is dis -proportionation reaction? Write a chemical reaction to show disproportionation.
17. What is meant by actenoid contraction? Discuss the important physical properties of
18. Using valence bond theory predict the shape and magnetic behavior of [Cr(NH3)6]3+ion.
19. Consider a plot between k vs where T is the temperature.
On the basis of this plot, answer the following questions
(i) What is the slope in this line ?
(ii) What is the intercept of this line on the y-axis ?
(iii) Which area of kinetics is shown by the plot?
20. A certain reaction is 50% complete in 20 minutes at 300K and the same reaction is again 50%
complete in 5 minutes at 350K.Calculate the activation energy if it is a first order reaction.
Given R=8.314 J/K/mol
21. Describe briefly :
1. Hardy-Schulze rule
22. Why is zinc not extracted from zinc oxide through reduction using CO? Give the name of any ore of zinc.
23. Assign a reason for each of the following statements;
1. Phosphinic acid behave as a mono protic acid .
2. More metal fluorides are ionic in nature than metal chlorides
3. Iodine forms I3- ion but F2 does not form F3-ion.
24. Complete and balance the following equations :
1. C2H4 +O2 ---------->
2. 4Al +3O2 ----------->
3. P4 +SO2Cl2----------->
25. Draw the structures of the following compounds :
26. Why (I ) Transition metal and their many compounds act as good catalyst.
(ii) Actinoid contraction is greater from element to element than lanthanoid contraction.
(iii) K2PtCl6 is a well known compound whereas corresponding Ni compound is not known.
27. Write the IUPAC name of [Co(NH3)5(NO2)]( NO3)2 and illustrate the isomerism exhibited by this
Complex compound . Is the name of its isomer differ from this compound?.
a. Using Valence bond theory, predict the shape and magnetic character of [Ni(CO)4].[Ni=28]
b. Give one example of application of coordination compounds in medicine.
28. 1.Write the Nernst Equation and calculate the e.m.f of the following cell at 298 K:
Cu(s) / Cu2+(0.130M) II Ag+(1.00x10-4M) /Ag(s)
Given E0 Cu2+ /Cu =+0.34 V and E0 Ag+ /Ag =+0.80 V.
2. Describe the preparation and electrode reactions of fuell cell .
1. Explain Kohlrausch’s law of independent migration of ions. Write its one application.
2. How conductivity of an unknown solution be determined? Explain
29. Discuss the general characterstics of group 15 elements with reference to their :
1. Electronic configuration 2.Oxidation states 3.Atomic size
4. Ionization enthalpy 5.Electronegativity
a. Complete and balance the following chemical equations:
2. BrO3- +F2+OH--------------->
3. Ca3P2+ H2O------------->
b. Write the reaction for thermal decomposition of sodium azide.
c. Why does PCl3 fume in moisture?
30. a. Explain deviation from Raoult’s law in terms of molecular interactions.
b. Vapour pressure of pure water at 298 K is 23.8 mmHg.50 g of urea (NH2CO NH2) is dissolved in
750 g of water .Calculate the vapour pressure of water for this solution and its relative lowering.
a. Define the following terms :
1. Mole fraction
2. Van’t Hoff factor
b. Calculate the freezing point of a solution containing 18 g of C6H12O6 and 68.4 g of C12H22O11
in 200 g water. The freezing point of pure water is00C and cryoscopic Constant of water is 1.86 K/m.